Please view our back issues page for more information about obtaining previous months issues, dating back to 1995.
Barry Salt charts the technical and artistic developments in lighting that have transformed the look of cinema over the past century
Il Divo's portrait of former Italian prime minister Giulio Andreotti sees Paolo Sorrentino going against expectations to magnificent effect, finds Guido Bonsaver.
Poland's Camerimage festival gave Sight & Sound the chance to canvass international cinematographers about the state of their craft. Interviews by Roger Clarke and Edward Lawrenson
Cinematographer Dante Spinotti turned to digital cameras to penetrate the darkness of his fifth collaboration with director Michael Mann, the gangster epic Public Enemies. He talks to Roger Clarke
City of lost souls
Women go off the rails in the Berlinale's taboo-busting films this year, as Nick James discovers. PLUS Jonathan Romney picks his best and worst of the festival and Tony Rayns highlights a few peaks.
Still got no strings
As Disney looks to the future, Andrew Osmond looks back at the soon-to-be-reissued Pinocchio with its lead voiceover artist Dickie Jones to see what made it such a memorable and groundbreaking animation.
Anatomy of a director
Otto Preminger was frequently seen as an auteur striving for objectivity. A more detailed look at his early output suggests a more subtle truth, argues Richard Combs.
Two new Buñuel releases shed light on the maestro's Mexican sojourn. Tim Lucas on surrealism's sly old devil.
An engrossing and poetic debut from Thai director Aditya Assarat, Wonderful Town coolly sets the progress of a doomed love affair against the backdrop of a community devastated by the 2004 tsunami. By Tony Rayns
Reviews in this issue:
- 20th Century Boys/20-seiki shônen/Twentieth Century Boys
- The Age of Stupid
- Chandni Chowk to China/RameshSippy's Chandni Chowk to China
- Cherry Blossoms/Kirschblüten Hanami
- Confessions of a Shopaholic
- Crossed Tracks/Roman de gare
- Il Divo/Il Divo La spettacolare vita di Giulio Andreotti
- DVD Review: The Exterminating Angel and Simon of the Desert
- Fifty Dead Men Walking
- Flash of Genius
- Friday the 13th
- He's Just Not That into You/Er steht einfach nicht auf Dich!
- Hotel for Dogs/Das Hundehotel
- I Can't Think Straight
- In the City of Sylvia/En la ciudad de Sylvia/Dans la ville de Sylvia
- LOL (Laughing Out Loud)
- Modern Life/La Vie moderne
- New in Town
- Not Quite Hollywood
- Paul Blart Mall Cop
- Peter Beard "Scrapbooks from Africa and Beyond..."/Peter Beard Carnets d'Afrique et d'ailleurs
- Timecrimes/Los cronocrímenes
- Two Lovers
- Under the Sea 3D
- Underworld Rise of the Lycans
- The Universe of Keith Haring/L'universo di Keith Haring/Keith Haring Le Petit Prince de la rue
- Who's Camus Anyway?/Kamyu nante shiranai
- Film of the Month: Wonderful Town